Postdoc in Attention, Affect, and Learning at the University of Notre Dame
The Psychology Department at the University of Notre Dame anticipates hiring a postdoctoral fellow starting as early as August 1st 2015 for one year and renewable for a second year (pending availability of funds). The position includes a full time salary and comprehensive benefits. Review of applications will start immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The postdoc will work under the supervision of Dr. Sidney D’Mello who has joint appointments in the Departments of Psychology and Computer Science. The lab focuses on uncovering links between attention and affect during complex learning and problem solving in both lab and field settings. The research is highly interdisciplinary and makes use of multiple measures and analytical techniques (interaction traces, self-reports, eye tracking) to study mental states (mind wandering, boredom, frustration) in a range of information processing activities (e.g., reading texts, viewing online lectures, playing educational games).
The position offers a unique postdoctoral training experience and unsurpassed publishing opportunities within multi-disciplinary, multi-institution, grant-funded projects. The postdoc will be encouraged to advance his/her own research program, develop advanced technical skills, strengthen his/her research portfolios, develop leadership skills by mentoring students, and gain expertise in authoring collaborative grant proposals.
· Ph.D. in Cognitive Psychology, Cognitive Science, or Educational Psychology at the time of appointment
· Research experience in one or more of the following areas (higher-level cognition, attention, affect, mind wandering, complex learning, eye tracking)
· Strong writing skills and ability to conduct independent research as evidenced by first author publications
· Experience with conducting research in multiple contexts (lab, online, and field studies)
· Data harvesting, manipulation, and processing skills
· Basic computer programming experience
· Advanced statistical skills (e.g., HLM, SEM, Bayesian models)
· Experience mentoring graduate and undergraduate students
· One year position (providing renewal based on performance during a probationary period). Extension to a second year based on performance and availability of funds.
· Desired start date is August 1, 2015. However, start date is negotiable.
· Salary based on NIH guidelines for postdoctoral fellows and a comprehensive benefits package.
How to Apply
· Applicants should email one pdf file with: (1) cover letter, (2) current CV, and (3) names and contact information of three references with the subject line “Application for Postdoc in Attention, Affect, and Learning” to email@example.com.
About the University of Notre Dame
The University of Notre Dame is a widely recognized and respected university in the U.S. It is one of the few universities to consistently rank in the top 25 in the U.S. News & World Report survey of America’s best colleges. The University is located in South Bend, Indiana, a city with a vibrant culture, affordable housing, excellent school systems, and within easy driving distance of Chicago and Lake Michigan.
The University of Notre Dame is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer with strong institutional and academic commitments to racial, cultural, and gender diversity. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Information about Notre Dame, including our mission statement, is available athttp://www.nd.edu.