Full Professor of Communication and Information Sciences
Utrecht University is looking for a full professor in Communication and Information Sciences as from 1 September 2015. The programme of Communication and Information Sciences in Utrecht combines the study of language as a means of communication with the study of the role of media in communication. The professor will play an important part in the subsequent integration of these two perspectives. The professor will teach classes at both bachelor and master level. The successful candidate will be expected to play an active, leading and coordinating role in the programme of Communication and Information Sciences. Depending on the expertise and the preferences of the successful candidate, the research will be placed in the Utrecht Institute of Linguistics OTS (UIL OTS) or in the Institute for Cultural Inquiry (ICON). This chair will contribute to a strongly connective, interdisciplinary line of research. The chair will form part of the Department of Languages, Literature and Communication of the Faculty of Humanities.
The successful candidate
- is an excellent senior researcher with evident knowledge in at least one of the two relevant academic areas and has experience in teaching and research with regard to the integration of these areas;
- has shown to have been able to set up his or her own renovating line of research, to obtain research grants for this and to stimulate and supervise young researchers, especially PhD students;
- is capable of international and interdisciplinary cooperation, as shown by various forms of collaborations and publications;
- is a motivating and motivated teacher who makes use of modern teaching methods and is capable of translating his/her own research projects into a dynamic education environment;
- is able to engage in, develop and maintain both formalised and informal networks in the academic world and in the social areas and valorisation domains of language, media and communication;
- evidently has the communicative and organisational skills required for this responsible job and is a team player with leading and relational abilities;
- has a good command of Dutch and is familiar with the Dutch context in which the programme is set. Non-native candidates are expected to master the language and the context in a very short period of time (two years).
The successful candidate is offered a full-time appointment for five years with possible tenure after positive evaluation. The salary is € 5,003 – €7,285 gross per month for a full-time appointment.
About the organisation
Utrecht University has a strong ambition regarding quality of teaching and study success. This also holds for the sharp research profiles with respect to four themes: Sustainability, Life Sciences, Dynamics of Youth and Institutions. Utrecht University really forms part of society and contributes to answers to the social questions of today and tomorrow.
At the Faculty of Humanities there are about 900 staff members and 7000 students. The Faculty includes four domains of knowledge:
- Philosophy and religious studies
- History and history of arts
- Media and culture studies and
- Languages, Literature and communication
With teaching and research in these areas the Faculty wants to contribute to a better understanding of the Netherlands and Europe in a swiftly changing social and cultural context.
The aim of the bachelor’s programme of Communication and Information Studies is to train students in the analysis of image/sound, language and interaction so that they may be employed in all professional fields in which the choice and combination of media play a role. In addition they are well-prepared to participate in at least one of the following academic master’s programmes:
- Communication and Organisation,
- Film and Television Studies,
- New Media and Digital Culture
- Intercultural Communication.
Obviously these educational goals are fostered by interdisciplinary research in this field.
The chair will be placed in the department of Languages, Literature and Communication as coordinator of the programme of Communication and Information Studies (CIS). There will be a close cooperation with the existing chairs that are closely involved with CIS, especially with Linguistic Competence in Dutch, Text Design and Communication and Discourse, Cognition and Communication. In the department of Media and Cultural Studies the same cooperation will take place with the chairs of Media and Communication, Media Theory, History of Film and Television and Art, Culture and Diversity.
The enthusiastic and committed colleagues and the excellent amenities in the historical city centre of Utrecht, where the Faculty is housed, contribute to an inspiring working environment. In addition Utrecht University offers attractive employment conditions.
Has your interest been aroused? Ask for the profile report from the HR department of the Faculty of Humanities (030) 2536244 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For other information Prof Dr T.J.M. Sanders (Head of Department) may be contacted (030) 253 6080 or email@example.com
Applications, including a covering letter (with motivation) for this position, a curriculum vitae and a list of publications may be submitted via the link given below, before 1 December 2014.
The selection of candidates for the interviews will take place in January 2015. Giving a trial lecture, submitting a research plan, as well as an assessment may form part of the application procedure.