Assistant Professor Educational Sciences (12-170)
The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Institute of Education and Child Studies
Assistant Professor Educational Sciences (30,4-38 hours per week) Vacancy Number: 12-170
The department Educational Studies at Leiden University invites applications for the position of an assistant professor, with expertise and experience in cognitive, developmental- and/or educational psychology.
(http://www.fsw.leidenuniv.nl/pedagogiek/onderwijsstudies). The assistant professor will participate in the development and delivery of the section’s educational activities, which range from giving lectures, seminars, tutorials and other classes in the bachelor and master programs of the department of Education and Child studies to supervision of undergraduate and master’s students and PhD candidates in the section of Educational Studies. In addition, the successful applicant will participate in the design, execution and management of research in the Brain and Education Lab (http://www.brainandeducationlab.nl/), concerning topics such as cognitive processes in reading and learning, educational applications, and/or educational neuroscience.
The appointment involves participation in the research program (30%), teaching (60%), and organizational tasks (10%).
• To conduct research on cognitive factors relevant to educational psychology. Of particular interest are candidates who could make a contribution in the areas of cognitive foundations of reading and learning, educational applications, and/or educational neuroscience.
• Active pursuit of external research funding.
• To publish research outcomes in international (peer-reviewed) journals and to disseminate results of research and scholarship in other outlets.
• To attend and present research findings and papers at academic and professional conferences.
• To give lectures, seminars, tutorials and other classes in the bachelor and master program
• To supervise research projects by undergraduate and master’s students and by PhD candidates.
• To participate in administrative and organizational tasks.
• Ph. D. degree in one of the Social Sciences.
• Expertise in the area of reading comprehension and/or cognitive models of language development.
• Interest in connecting cognitive theory and educational applications.
• Ability to teach undergraduate and postgraduate students in lectures, tutorials, seminars and practical classes (BKO is preferred).
• Ability to initiate, develop, and deliver high quality research and to publish in peer reviewed journals.
• Ability or potential to generate external funding to support research projects.
• Excellent communication (oral and written) skills in Dutch and English.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Leiden University requires staff to obtain the Basic Teaching Qualification (BKO). If the successful applicant does not have this qualification or its equivalent, the institute will offer support in obtaining it.
The appointment will initially be for 1 year (including 2 months probation). After this period, continuation of the appointment for up to 4 years is possible. Salary is commensurate with experience (conform official university labor contracts) from € 3.195,- to a maximum of € 4.370,- (scale 11, UD2) per month. Starting date is flexible.
Additional information about the position can be obtained from Prof. dr. P. van den Broek (phone secretary: 071-5273401). E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications, accompanied by a Curriculum Vitae and list of publications with reference to vacancy number/identification, to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin on February 12, 2013.
When your application reaches us we will send you confirmation by e-mail. If you have not received a confirmation within three days after you send us the e-mail, please phone us at +31-71-5273427.